Monday, May 18, 2009

Mulan: The Performances

MULAN: THE PERFORMANCES

Our school musical Mulan that we talked about in an earlier post just happened. We had four shows, one for the school on Friday, and three for those who bought tickets. The first show was just a dress rehearsal, which was basically practice for the real performance.

We were required to be at school two hours before the first show started at 7:30, in order to get ready. We put on our costumes, makeup, set our props, got mikes, etc. In order for us to calm down a couple minutes before the show, we went outside to join in the Circle of Luck - which was all of the cast and crew holding hands while the director gave a short talk.

As you know from our earlier post, the four lead roles were performed in both English and Chinese. (Mulan, Mushu, Captain Shang, and Chi Fu).

Our Experiences

Sam (Mushu): Mulan was great!! I played Mushu, Mulan’s guardian dragon, and I spoke all my lines in Chinese! I even sung a song that is about seven minutes in Chinese. It was very fun! I gave up a lot of time to memorize my lines, so now that the show is over I feel an emptiness inside. I wish we could have more performances. Well, at least I’ll have more free time!

Malachi (Crew): The experience of being in Mulan was fantastic. I was part of the technical crew, and I did a lot. Being part of the show was great. I liked working with everyone, especially the director. I had a great time and we had a great performance.

Indiyah (English Chi Fu): Being in a real production was a wonderful experience for me. All of the props, makeup, and costumes – boy, I felt like a princess. But the most tiring of all was having practices for an hour or more. I realize that it all paid off and, best of all, our show rocked the mike.

Zahra (Subar-Tu, Hun): during the first show I was really nervous. But after a little while I got used to it. Performing was fun, even when I messed up. I wish that I could keep doing the show over and over again.

Karla (Lin, Ancestor): In Mulan I played the part of Ancestor Lin. I was really nervous in each performance we did, but as soon as I said my first line the butterflies in my stomach went away. Even though I was nervous I had a lot of fun and am disappointed that it’s over.

Alicia (Emperor): Being in a school production was a great experience for me because it was a way for me to prepare for my future career as an actress. The dress rehearsals, wearing makeup and costumes were all a wonderful experience at school. I knew it was a dress rehearsal but my stomach had butterflies in it anyway, because the school was watching!

Luke (Qian-Po): During rehearsals, plays and performances I had a great time. I worked hard and it definitely paid off. It was the best experience for me in drama that I have ever had. It was also great having a main part.

Emma (Mulan): For me, Mulan was an experience that I will always remember. All my family came down to watch me perform my lines in Chinese. As I knew it would, all the work Toby, Sam and I did in Ms. Kong’s room (our Chinese instructor) really paid off. We worked hard, and it showed – I am so proud of everybody!

Toby (Shang/Chinese): it was hard learning all my lines in Chinese. But we did it and it was good. I can’t wait to see the video of the play and what it all came to be. Countless rehearsals (at least to me), home at five do homework eat and bead was all I had time to do.

1 comment: